The English Cocker Spaniel is one of several varieties of Spaniel with incredible energy, enthusiastic companion while working. The Cocker is an active sporting dog that is commonly referred to as an excellent family dog. The English Cocker Spaniel can be easily trained and rarely stops wagging its tail along with gentle expression.
History and Background of English Cocker Spaniel
Spaniels were found in almost 500 years ago. In the beginning, the spaniels were divided into land spaniels and water spaniels in England. Among them, the English Cocker Spaniel belongs to the family of land spaniels. These dog breeds are incredibly competent at hunting. The English Cocker Spaniel Club of America has recognized this dog breed as a distinctive variety in 1936.
The English Cocker Spaniel Club was not encouraged by the crossing of the American and English Cockers. It results in the separation of the American Cocker and the English Cocker in 1946. The English Cocker Spaniel breed is also known as the Cocker Spaniel. American Cockers, developed in the 19th century, are accessible only in their homeland. But the English Cocker Spaniel is well-known all over the world.
Physical Characteristics of English Cocker Spaniel
As a Spaniel, the English Cocker is legitimately tall with a compact shape and short legs. It helps to move quickly through dense bushes. Its broad muzzle assists this dog breed during retrieving. The English Cocker’s coat can be found in various colors such as black, black tan, liver Roan, red, dark blue roan, light blue roan with tan, etc. medium length, wavy/flat, and silky in texture. Its comportment is ground-covering and dominant with soft and pleasant facial expression. Usually, the English Cocker keeps its tail wagging while moving.
- Hup, the traditional sit and stay command, helps in the hunting.
- Retrieve to Hand means that dog will hold the bird until the hunter told to give.
- The quarter working pattern helps in hunting.
- Follow hand signals in both hunting and gaming purposes.
- Steady while hunting.
Size of English Cocker Spaniel
The standard size of male English Cocker Spaniel ranges from 15.5 to 16 inches, whereas the female one ranges from 15 to 15.5 inches. The weight for both the male and female is approximately 13 to 14.5 KG.
Personality of English Cocker Spaniel
The English Cocker Spaniel, social in nature, doesn’t like being alone. It is very obedient, intelligent, athletic, compassionate, and carrying out the owner’s instructions, devotedly makes it a great family pet. The English Cocker’s most recognizable characteristic is faithfulness to its master. With a strong hunting instinct, and most often stay cheerful or playful, this dog breed is always keen to learn new things.
English Cocker Spaniels need to feed 1 to 2 cups of high-quality dry food daily, dividing into two meals. However, the adult dog eats as per his requirement
The English Cocker Spaniel should be taken on long, at least one hour, walk that will provide it the necessary daily exercise. This dog breed will get an excellent physical activity by running and playing. Puppies need different training depending on their age. From 9 weeks to 4 months, the puppies should exercise, train, and socialize once or twice a week, along with 15 to 20 minutes of playing with a ball in the yard in the morning and evening. Next, from 4 months to 6 months of its age, it needs regular classes and a daily half-mile walk along with playing with a ball in the yard. Though the English Cocker Spaniel can survive outside in temperate weather, it is best to keep this dog breed.
Its ears should be checked regularly to remove dirt. Someone should comb and brush its coats two to three times a week. It is necessary to trim its fur at the tail in every two months. Head and ears are to be appropriately clipped at regular intervals.
The English Cocker Spaniel generally lives 12 to 14 years. The common health problems are skin allergies, bite problem, shyness, cataracts, deafness, aggression to other dogs that the English Cocker Spaniel has to face off. Prevent some significant health issues such as Patellar Luxation, Dysplasia, Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy, and Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA); care should be taken. This dog breed has faced minor problems such as hypothyroidism, canine hip dysplasia (CHD), and kidney disease.
- Eye Problem – Different types of eye problems like Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), cataracts, degenerative disease of retinal visual cells, glaucoma etc. are faced by this dog breeds. Either redness of eye or rubbing of eye is noticed then it needs to check up.
- Renal Failure – This is nothing but kidney failure. In between 9months to 24 months, this can be occurred. The cause of Renal Failure may be inherited and occasionally it is found in this dog breeds.
- Congenital Sensorineural Deafness – Congenital Sensorineural Deafness is currently found in this dog breeds. This may be present at birth or by the age of four months, due to degenerative hearing from progressing to deafness.
- Hip Dysplasia – Factors like genetic, diet, environment etc. caused for the deformity of hip joint. With this disability, Cocker Spaniels can live normal and healthy life but owner should care about its regular exercise and not to overload. In serious cases, dog needs hip replacement surgery to get rid of this health issue.
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy – This problem distend the hearth muscles overly. Weight loss, abdominal distension, weakness, fainting, coughing and rapid heart-beats are the usual symptoms of Dilated Cardiomyopathy.
The English Cocker Spaniel has to test its knees, ears, hips, eyes, and thyroid tests. To identify these issues, a veterinarian has to conduct eye, hip, and thyroid exams on this dog breed and also tests for osteochondrodysplasic.
So, this is all about one of the best dog breeds in India – English Cocker Spaniel. With this comprehensive information, we try to provide you with basic knowledge about English Cocker Spaniel dog. Finally, if you like our article and efforts behind it, please share this post with your lovable persons. If you want to know anything, then feel free to comment below.
- Beagle Dog breeds Information, Characteristics, Health
- Pug-Breed Information, Health Information of Vodafone Dog
- Golden Retriever-Breed Information, Health Information
- Bulldog-Breed Information, Health Information You must know
- Samoyeds – Breed Information, Health Information You must know
- Indian Spitz – Breed Information, Health Information You must know
- Pomeranian Dog – Breed Information, Health Information You must know
- Great Dane-Breed Information, Health Information You must know